Are You Kidding Me?!

Are You Kidding Me?!

Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

SAFETY Dance

As I mentioned in this previous blog post, my 7-year-old son loves dancing. I thought it would be much more accepted now than it actually is. People like to pretend that it is. Dance academies like to advertise that it is. But, it’s not. Not by parents, peers, or dance schools—at least not the ones I’ve dealt with.

I don’t want him to lose this love. I don’t want him to question whether he should be doing this. For one thing, he is damn good at it. For another, he enjoys it. I want both my kids to feel comfortable and self-confident. I want them to feel "safe" doing whatever it is that makes them happy.


Just for fun, I like to show him cool actors and famous people (boys) who can dance. This is one of his favorites. And mine, too. Silly? Yes. Scrubs is a comedy. But that guy has had some serious training.



Incidentally, this video has helped my 9-year-old soccer, basketball, baseball, football fan to think dancing is cool.