Are You Kidding Me?!

Are You Kidding Me?!

Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Nasty Nicknames

I have seen people do some stupid things in my life. I have seen parents act like idiots. But this one... Well it has me writing another "What Were You Thinking?" post. (BTW, it also qualifies as one of my "What is Pissing Me Off Today" posts.)

Apparently, my son’s soccer coach has decided to give all the kids on the team nicknames. Thing is, my son, and the rest of the team, know all these names now. Actually, the whole town probably does since this guy’s voice carries over about five fields. Not kidding. He is LOUD. So, you gotta be careful what you call these kids. You know, put a brain cell or two into it before you just shout it out.

So, coaching a team of 3rd and 4th graders, he decides to give the kids nicknames. That’s fine. Maybe he has trouble remembering names. Maybe he thinks it’s cute. Whatever.

At dinner tonight, my son told us one of the nicknames. I nearly dropped my fork. My husband looked wide-eyed. I am absolutely serious when I say this brainless coach called the only Mexican kid on the team “Senor Taco”. And, when the kid covered his ears and yelled at the coach “DON'T CALL ME THAT!”, Mr. Moron (which is my new nickame for the coach) did stop. Then started calling him "Taco". Way to go, moron. The rest of the kids thought it was so frickin’ funny, they started calling the kid “Senor Taco” as well. Finally, when the kid really got upset and told them “DON’T CALL ME THAT ANYMORE!”, they started calling him “Senor Burrito” instead. Awesome.

This kid goes to their school. He is on their bus. He is in some of their classes. The other nicknames Mr. Moron doled out have already made it to the bus and playground but since they are mostly just variations of their names, no harm done. I wonder what the hell is going to happen on Monday.

Rock on, Mr. Moron. Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you are not a racist bastard and you are simply an idiot, I will say this: I hope your son never has to deal with what this kid is now dealing with. This kid, who you have ridiculed and mocked, will suffer for your sheer stupidity. And make no mistake about it—it is your fault. The children are calling him names but you, Mr. Moron, a grown man, started it. What the hell were you thinking?