Are You Kidding Me?!

Are You Kidding Me?!

Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Einstein, Edison, and…Tesla?

One of the coolest things about raising children is that you learn neat stuff like where Wisconsin is. Not that there aren’t other things that are lukewarm super cool about raising children, but I love learning new things. Like, hey, did you know William Taft was the fattest president? (Did you know William Taft was a president? I won’t tell…)

I have never claimed to know everything. No one knows everything. That would just be weird. But it amazes me the depth of my ignorance about some subjects. I mean, I was vaguely aware I wasn’t very good at math, couldn’t find Morocco on a map, and wouldn’t be able to name 15 presidents under threat of death. But, ever since I had kids, that has all changed. It’s glorious! I know all fifty state capitals, all 44 presidents, and, even though I can’t actually do it, I know what set theory is.
(It’s math.)

So, when my son received a book about Nikola Tesla, I thought, Huh, that looks good. Who the frick is Nikola Tesla? Well, he’s only an amazing genius who invented everything in the world. Well, lots of stuff anyway. And his research led to even more inventions. Did you know this poor little Serbian boy came all the way to America to meet his hero, Thomas Edison, just to have Edison employ him, turn on him, then try to ruin him? 

Wow, kudos to Elizabeth Rusch the author of this book because not only did I find out who Tesla was, I’m all pissed off for him long after his death for getting a raw deal. Kudos, indeed!


FYI, in case you don’t know who Tesla was either, he invented tons of useless stuff that you wouldn’t have heard of like electricity, remote control, the radio.... His discovery of AC electricity lit the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893, the first all electric fair in history. Edison tried to stop him and get the job himself, but Tesla wound up getting the job and resulting fame. Tesla also wound up getting the “Edison Medal”. I find that amusing.